Sep 23, 2008

Fall Has Arrived

You know that Fall has arrived when you see a big bag of apples on the counter. Unfortunately they are not from our tree, it didn't produce much this year. A co worker of Brad's sent home a big bag of apples from the trees. I have made two pies from them, and they are wonderful! I would like to make a couple more and then make some applesauce from the rest. The pie recipe I came up with a couple years ago by adding ingredients from different recipes. I really like the result, the crust is super flaky, and the pumpkin pie spice adds just enough *something* to the pie!

While I was making the pie, I gave the kids their own dough to play with. Kept them happy for at least an hour! I remember when my mom would make pies, my brother and I would get to make our own crust from the leftovers, I still have those little pie pans and now my kids get to do the same! I tried twice to get a picture, but for whatever reason my taped up camera isn't working. Grrrr.

For lunch I made homemade pizza. I used a half white/half wheat flour in my bread machine, and I had some leftover pizza sauce in the freezer from the last pizza I made. I just used hamburger and cheese, forgot to brown some sausage. The kids didn't mind, I only have two small pieces left! Tonight I'm not sure what we're having yet, as Brad is bowling, and we have an ice cream social at school tonight.

Ok, here is my apple pie recipe...

Crust: This is for an 8 or 9 inch double crust
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c. shortening (I use lard)
6 Tbl water

Combine the flour and salt, cut in lard until crumbly. Add water as little bit at a time. divide in half

Filling:
Apples. Honestly, I'm not sure how many, I like to have a nice pile in the crust.
Over the apples pour 1/4 c honey
Mix together 1/2 c sugar, 1 Tbl. cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice- sprinkle this over apples and honey.
Add 1/2 c water (or so) to the apples, spread crust over top, and cut slits. bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

No comments: