Oct 29, 2009

Butternut Squash Bread

If there is one thing (ok, maybe several, but I'm talkin about one right now...) that is a vice for me, as far as food is concerned, it would be bread. And I'm not talking about the store bought kind, I don't like it, but the good ole homemade stuff. I am addicted. Honestly, the smell, the contrast of crusty outside and the soft inside, really what ISN'T there to love???? My favorite bread recipe right now is a Butternut Squash recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. This is perfect for me, because I have squash from the garden that needs to be used up. It is suuuuuper easy to make, and I love that it makes three loaves. I have given some to my daycare families, and inlaws, definitely a hit!

Butternut Squash Bread

2 (.25 ounce) pkgs yeast
1/2 C. warm water
1 1/4 C. mashed squash
1 C. warm milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/3 C. melted butter
1/3 C. sugar
1 tsp. salt
7 C all-purpose flour

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water, let stand 5 minutes. Add squash, milk, eggs, butter, sugar and salt; mix well. Gradually add 3 1/2 C. flour, beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface 6-8 minutes, or in your mixer with a dough hook 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease both sides, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour. Punch down, shape into three loaves; place in three greased loaf pans and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden brown.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! recipe. I will have to try changing this recipe for the bread machine. THANKS!!! for stopping by my blog and leaving a nice comment.
Geri

SnoWhite said...

You and me both! This looks delicious.

Mandy said...

Cara, will one squash yield the 3 1/2 cups of puree needed?

Tiffanee said...

Yum!! I have a butternut squash and was wondering what to do with it. Thanks for a delicious looking recipe.

Jean Tuthill said...

Your bread looks wonderful! What a great way to get the veggies into the diet. I bet it's delicious. I love to can stuff. My Mom does it big time and I learned from her. I make Strawverry preserves and still have a few jars left from June when I made a couple of batches. Yum, it's so good!

Unknown said...

this looks great, cara. do you use the dough hook or do you do it by hand? i haven't ventured into kneading by hand. i let the bread machine take care of the dough, then i pull it out and bake it myself.

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Mandy- You only need one and a half cups of puree, the three and a half cups is the flour:)

Zein- I have done it both ways, turns out the same:)

Mandy said...

Oops - good thing you straightened me out before I tried to make some really wierd dough!

Julie said...

I definitely have to bookmark this. I have some butternut squash puree in the freezer I've been wondering what to do with. Now I know :)