Apr 7, 2009

Chicken and Squash Soup


This fabulous soup is from my Taste of Home magazine (shocker!). Brad wasn't too sure about it, as he isn't much for veggies, lol. He ended up loving it, and the girls liked it a lot too. I made it last night for supper, along with the Dilly Chicken sandwiches. Although, I had no dill for the sandwiches, so I used Thyme instead, I think I liked it better!!!


Chicken and Squash Soup
1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds) cut up
13 cups water
5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 10 cups)
1 1/4 pounds fresh kale, chopped
6 medium carrots
2 large onions, chopped
3 tsp salt

Place chicken and water in soup kettle. bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender.

Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to pan; add the squash, kale, carrots and onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until veggies are tender.

When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones and skin. Add chicken and salt to soup; heat through.

14 servings

Linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
Crockpot Wednesdays
Tasty Tuedays

4 comments:

SnoWhite said...

that sounds really light and tasty!

Unknown said...

Love this! I hope you will post it to Crock Pot Wednesday.

Connie said...

The soup does look good, but the Creamy Chicken Pasta really caught my eye!! I've saved it and will definitely give it a try!

I love your blog background!

Many blessings!

Nicole Feliciano said...

delicious. Hope you get a chance to swing by Momtrends--my recipe this week was the perfect BLT. Have a great weekend.

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/09/friday-food-perfect-and-healthy-blt.html