Apr 5, 2010

Slow Cooked Beef Fajitas

After enjoying authentic Mexican food for a whole week, I knew I needed to find some good recipes to make at home. Especially after realizing that mailing guacamole and pico de gallo wouldn't be an option (insert grumble here). I was so taken away with the food at our resort. Authentic, gourmet, delicious Mexican food. So, I immediately tried a new guacamole recipe and promptly threw it away (faaaar too much lime juice, very bitter). Bummer. Then I tried a pico de gallo recipe that just didn't cut it. Crud.

Feeling a bit of an after-vacation let down, I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. It is made in the slow cooker which works PERFECT for me! And the Mexican Rice is so tasty with the fajitas, even the girls loved it!

Slow-Cooked Steak Fajitas

1 (1 1/2 pound) beef flank steak
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium green pepper, julienned
1 Tbl. fresh minced cilantro
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 Tbl water
flour tortillas, sour cream, salsa

Thinly slice steak across the grain into strips; place in 5 qt. slow cooker. Add tomatoes, garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. Add onion, peppers and cilantro Cover and cook 1-2 hours longer or until meat is tender.

Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Fill tortilla up with meat mixture, sour cream and salsa.

And just for the record, this picture doesn't do it justice, lol!

Linking to:
Tasty Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Crockpot Wednesday

4 comments:

Melinda said...

I love using the slow cooker! This looks really yummy!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Mexican is my FAVORITE!!! I'll have to try this one for sure!!! It looks yummy!!!

I posted a good guacamole recipe today if you want to check it out. It's what they make at Cozymel's.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks good to me! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

CC said...

I'm finding so many wonderful crock pot recipes thanks to Dining With Debbie..I love good Mexican food, and wonderful pico just needs to accompany it. And I can't make great pico. *sighs. Nonetheless,I try and sometimes I get it just almost perfect..
I've become a follower..I'll be back when I can look more at your pretty site. I'm trying to find a few places that has tons of recipes..cause I like trying new things. I also have a recipe place along with 2 friends..it's just plain home cookin from family and friends from Texas,Singapore and England.. We're quite a combination..*big smiles..