Apr 9, 2010

Crockpot Overnight Oatmeal

My girls love oatmeal, but it's usually the instant packet kind, not that there is anything horrible about it, but I would prefer it to be the homemade kind. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and decided to try it out and oh.my.gracious. It is SO delicious and full of flavor! I put it in the crockpot around 9:30 the night before and it was perfect at 6:00 in the morning. If you've never tried steel cut outs, now is the time, it has a different texture than the traditional oatmeal and mixed with the apples and cranberries makes it all that much better. Now, I modified this to our liking, I used whole milk and eliminated the nuts (my girls aren't big nut fans).

Overnight Oatmeal
2 cups steel cut oats
2 cups diced apples
1 cup dried cranberries
3 cups water
1 cup milk
1 Tbl cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp butter

Combine ingredients in your slow cooker, set on low and let cook overnight!

Verdict? Delicious! Alayna and Emma loved it, Rachel didn't think there was much flavor. I will absolutely be making this again:)

1 comment:

SnoWhite said...

sounds wonderful!

Do you think you have to use steel cut oats?