Mar 22, 2010

PW: That's The Best Frosting I've Ever Had!!!

My incredible, bright, beautiful first born has turned 9. *sigh*. Which, in case you didn't know, means she'll be twenty in a couple years. *sigh*. Truly, I know it's so cliche to say "my, where has the time gone???" But really, I would love to know. I was going through some old pics on the computer and can't believe it seemed like it was yesterday that we brought her home, not having a clue as to what we were supposed to do with her!

Her birthday was the 14th of March, and we celebrated her birthday with husband's family. Rachel isn't one for cake, as she doesn't like frosting. So I have tried several recipes for frosting with no winner so far. Saturday I was browsing the all wonderful Pioneer Woman's blog and found a recipe for frosting that looked intriguing. The title says it all, "That's The Best Frosting I've Ever Had". And let me tell you, it is!! Rachel raved about it and told me I have to keep that recipe. It's light, fluffy and has just the right sweetness (although licking all the frosting off the beaters still gave me a stomachache). The recipe is for white icing, so I added 1/4 C cocoa (per a suggestion from one of the comments) to make it chocolate. DELISH!!

Rachel's theme this year is animals, next week for her kid birthday party we are going to the local animal shelter to volunteer. For that cake, she wants a kitty. Now I just need to find a cute way to make a kitty out of a paper lunch bag. Any ideas? Instead of giving out treat bags, I will have a note in there that says we donated items to the shelter in their name. Who needs more crappy candy and poisoned toys anyway, right??!!





5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great cake and Happy Birthday to your sweetie!!

Be sure to pop over and enter in for my 100th post giveaway :)

Blessings!
Gail

Mandy said...

Great job on the cake, Cara! What a neat idea for a birthday party. I'm going to put that one in my back pocket as my daughter is an animal lover.

What a beautiful 9 year old!!

Heidi said...

I saw that recipe on PW too and wanted to try it.... just haven't had a good excuse to bake a cake yet! The addition of chocolate sounds yummy.

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

LOVE your cake and the theme. Our best ever was a cowboy party. :)

gluten free pammy said...

I grabbed your button, your welcome to come by and do the same and get in on the $45CSN giveaway, and check out my new cookbook