May 14, 2013

Lentil Vegetable Soup

I love meat, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I enjoy a good meat free meal.  And this soup fits the bill.  If I were to serve a meat free supper, I am pretty confident that my husband would pack up his things.  He is a farm boy, meat and potato raised.  I don't believe the term "meat free" is even in his vocabulary.  That's ok, it just means I get to enjoy all the tasty recipes good ole blogland gives me!


This recipe is from a sausage lentil soup I have and have made before, this time I left out the meat and added more veggies.  I made a big batch and plan to eat it all week for lunch.  It's one of those soups that tastes better the longer it's in the fridge.

Lentil Vegetable Soup-
1/2 bag of lentils rinsed and drained
2-3 medium carrots- chopped
1 red bell pepper- chopped
1/2 green bell pepper- chopped
1/2 onion- chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/4-1/2 tsp. cumin
1 bay leaf
2 cans broth (I used 1 can vegetable and 1 can beef)
salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

Saute carrots, peppers and onion in olive oil 5 minutes, add chopped garlic.  Mix in lentils, cumin, bay leaf and broth.  Bring to a boil and simmer until lentils are soft.  Remember to take out the bay leaf!


No comments: