May 20, 2023

Half Marathon 2023

While I have always enjoyed working out, I have been consistently working on incorporating workouts with weights, cardio and also running.  About a month ago I started getting nostalgic reading about my half marathon back in 2014 (recap here).  I've been running about 4-5 miles/week, so nothing major, but started thinking about doing my own version of the half marathon.
Today is the Fargo Marathon, which was the one I did and I decided I wanted to run along with them, but virtually.

The cool thing nowadays, is that you can literally look up and watch anything on YouTube, so I searched for races to watch while I ran and found the 2022 Brooklyn Marathon.  It was actully so cool to watch and feel like you're a part of the race, but I'm just truckin along on my trusty treadmill!
I started this morning like normal, got up early, read my Bible/devotions, had coffee and played fetch with Josie for about a half hour outside.  Mom and I had our normal Saturday morning chat (MY FAVE!) and at 7:30 I started getting ready.  Obviously my goal was the run the entire 13.1 miles, but I also realize that I have not fully trained (running-wise) for this, so I was going to listen to my body.
The first 4 miles SUCKED and I figured I'd be happy running 5 miles.  Once I hit the 5 mile mark, I felt like I found my groove.  Then I just kept thinking, I'll keep running until things start hurting and then I'll quit, I didn't want any big injuries.  I had bought a packet of salted caramel GU from Scheeles and ate that at mile 6.
Funny thing happened on mile 7.  I was really into my music and didn't realize how close I had been running to the front of the treadmill, and I tripped and fell.  Have you ever biffed it on a treadmill??  The tread burn is no joke, haha!  I sprained my finger somehow and have lots of road rash, but I honestly think that helped me!  My adrenaline was high because I was so pissed that I fell!  Miles 8-10 I couldn't believe how good I felt!  I was just in a good rhythm. Once I hit 10 miles, I knew I'd finish all 13.1.  I'd gone way too far to quit now!
Mile 11 things started to hurt.  I was getting arch cramps in my left foot and my left knee was starting to throb.  I just kept telling myself I can make it 2 more miles!  Those last 2 miles took FOREVER.  It was really tough, everything hurt.  But I was on track to beat my old time, so I kept at it.  I was running at a 4.5 MPH pace (never said I was a fast runner...) and when I was feeling good, would bump up my speed to 5.0.  That last mile was awful.  Everything hurt but I was still on track to beat my old time, which I did by 7 minutes!!! 
I ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 30 minutes.  I couldn't believe I had ran the entire thing!  Now, I did stop to pee (about 5 times, seriously...) and when I biffed it, but other than that I did not walk at all!
I don't need a pretty medal, it's my pride that I'll proudly wear!  For me, I'm just so proud that at 48, I have taken good care of my body and can still run a race!  
Now, will I be able to walk tomorrow?  Time will tell....





No comments: